Monday, February 05, 2007

family fun

I woke up earlier than I normally do this morning--I should probably always be getting up at this time--and couldn't go back to sleep because my head was filled with thoughts of the upcoming day. As I watched the quality of light shift and change and felt my girl moving around inside me, I thought, I am pretty much perfectly happy in this moment. Thanks Lord for the opportunity to be still.

I've been wanting to blog about Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno) since last Sunday, but haven't gotten around to it yet. And since I've been reading a lot about vaccinations (the pros and cons), I've been meaning to post about that too.

I've been teased about having "pregnancy brain." I can't seem to focus on much else other than the baby. It was always a little awkward for me to sit through a conversation where all the other people did was talk about their kids. But now I'm afraid I'll be the worst of them all. I suppose I should just relish it and let this time in my life be exactly what it is--preparation to be a mother. There will be time to be thoughtful, to get in shape, to be a "real" writer, to be whatever it is I think I should be, in time. I'm not sure what time that will be, but there's time.

It makes me thankful in a new way for the women in my family, the mothers, who came before me, strong and beautiful, nurturing and caring, who knew (and know) what it is to be absorbed by new life.

Aren't they great...

My mom's mom. Wasn't she a dish? Her name really was Queen Elizabeth. Pretty presumptuous of her family, huh? I still remember her singing "Wade in the Water" as I watched her cook in the kitchen.


Dad's mom. This picture was taken at my wedding...the last I have before she died. We both shared a love of Tony Bennett (she got to hang out with him once too).

Me and mom! We're both rockin' the 'fro. She claims that I was always happy like this picture...let's hope I have a happy baby too.

It seems to be something of a tradition in African-American families to revere your mother above all else--men may or may not be around to be strong daddies and husbands, but the women are there, and they can handle whatever needs to be handled, still praising God along the way.

Where would we have been if God didn't create Eve?

(I just realized that question could have so many different answers...I'm not sure I want to hear what some people might come up with. And no one better dare say, "without sin," because you know that Adam was standing right there with her when she ate that fruit. I think one of the reasons why he didn't stop her is because he was curious too--he wanted to see if she was going to drop down dead like God said. He just didn't have the guts to eat it first.)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger NightComesOn said...

What would happen with no Eve (I'm assuming this is post-Lilith as well)?

I'm sorry, I'm way too tempted to answer this in precisely the wrong way. Let's just say there are rules in Leviticus against it and move on.

Rock on Jasmin's women-ancestors (one would think there'd be a term out there for this...)!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

I know it was tough, but thanks for restraining yourself from answering in the "wrong way" you crazy crazy man.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Before I clicked on Comments, I knew there was a little nugget of wisdom and joy from Phillipi waiting here. lol He could not resist the Adam/Eve mystery!! Who can?

I LOVVVVVVVVE this post and echo the

rock on jasmin womancestors!!!! lol the Whoamanity is too much! (Woman! Whoaaaaa man! ok nevermind.. lol)

No but really, women are so strong and so beautiful. Well we're not all perfect but I'm definitely proud to be a woman.

7:10 PM  
Blogger NightComesOn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

PHILIP. You had to go and do it. You could've left that one up to our imaginations. I just knew I was opening up a can of worms when I asked that.

And yay Jenny, for keeping the movie references abounding between us :)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home