Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Butterball Horrors

I randomly ran across Butterball's House of Horrors, and I am ashamed to admit that I laughed in the beginning of the video clip. It may have been the cheesy title (Can you take the title Butterball's House of Horrors seriously?!), or the melodramatic feel of the whole thing that got me to giggling. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dismiss PETA, or vegetarianism, or the sad treatment of these animals at all. I do happen to love eating poultry however, so I think I've reached a happy medium between abstaining completely and succumbing to Butterball.

Mike and I buy free range/organic meat whenever possible. I know it's a little more expensive, but in the long run, I feel better about eating something that has been fed well and stressed less in its life. It would be even better if we bought from some of the local farms that we visited not too long ago...but alas, it takes much more planning to do that, and what can I say? I guess we're lazy. It's no excuse. And yet, I'm using it as one.

Time to eat...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate that?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

Don't I hate what exactly? Laziness, excuses, Butterball poultry plants...?

11:40 AM  
Blogger John Whittemore said...

While intentional cruelty in any form is disgusting, I think there are plenty of ways people slaughter each other that rank much higher on my list of "things to change." While I have no moral quams about eating meat, I think that the meanness the man describes (if true) is as much sadder for the men doing it than the birds. Of course, considering this "investigation" was done by a militant vegetarian group, and the images themselves weren't obviously of cruelty, I can't help but wonder about the accuracy of all he quotes. Still I'm more likely to agree when my wife wants to pay more for "free range" chickens now.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

I would agree that there are certainly things that deserve more attention than men terrorizing birds in a plant. As far as "issues" go, I've always been of the persuasion that taking care of people is more important than, say, the environment. But I think I'm realizing more and more how important it is to be a good steward of God's entire creation, how connected all the "issues" are. I just wish I could do more sometimes...but I suppose every little bit helps.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home