Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 reflections

In 2007...

I mourned the loss of innocence in the world and in myself.
But I rejoiced when it was born anew in so many ways.

I fell in love.

Community took on even more significance.
My sisters and brothers in Raleigh grew more precious.

I faced some fears.

Mortality reminded me of its grip on me and the lives of my loved ones.
The great cloud of witnesses surrounded, and witnessed (which freaked me out).

I gave birth.

I cried more than I wanted to.
But nothing made me happier than the laughter of my child.

I missed family.

I gained new friends in unexpected places.
And even met up with some old ones.

Sleep became elusive.

Read a few good books, saw some good movies.
But mostly, any down time was spent wanting to sleep.

I learned to appreciate my humanity even more.

And my spiritual life grew out of the mundane.
Out of the ordinary, every-day occurrences of life on this earth.

Changed many, many diapers.

I cooked, and it became a creative process and an outlet.
My body was made food for someone.

I thought a lot about hunger.

And Jesus kept me.
In the light, dark, and the murky in-between,
he kept me.

Goodbye old year, I am glad for the things you taught me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

beautiful. i see christ in you, the hope of glory.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Jenny!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Joya Davis said...

Amazingly beautiful and reflective. It captured my heart as I enter motherhood. Thank you for sharing your gift of writing.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home